I'm a Ph.D. student in the Department of Computer Science at University of California, Santa Barbara. I'm fortunately advised by Professor Xifeng Yan. Before coming to UC Santa Babara, I received my bachelor degree from the Department of Computer Science and Technology, Tsinghua University in 2012. I have spent some fun time interning in IBM T.J. Watson Research Center (2015), Microsoft Research Redmond (2016), and U.S. Army Research Laboratory (2015 and 2016).
I have broad interests in understanding formal knowledge, free text, and their interplay. Specifically, I have been working on natural language interaction/question answering for knowledge bases, web tables, and web APIs, using machine learning (deep learning in particular) and natural language processing techniques. I'm also interested in general graph problems like graph kernels.
On Generating Characteristic-rich Question Sets for QA Evaluation
Yu Su, Huan Sun, Brian Sadler, Mudhakar Srivatsa, Izzeddin Gur, Zenghui Yan, Xifeng Yan. In Proceedings of the 2016 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP’16 long paper, to appear) [paper] [appendix] [data] Data is coming out soon!
Improving Semantic Parsing via Answer Type Inference
Semih Yavuz, Izzeddin Gur, Yu Su, Mudhakar Srivatsa, Xifeng Yan. In Proceedings of the 2016 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP’16 long paper, to appear) [paper]
A Fast Kernel for Attributed Graphs
Yu Su, Fangqiu Han, Richard E. Harang, Xifeng Yan. In SIAM Int. Conf. on Data Mining, 2016 (SDM’16, oral) [paper] [appendix] [slides] [poster]
Table Cell Search for Question Answering
Huan Sun, Hao Ma, Xiaodong He, Wen-Tau Yih, Yu Su, Xifeng Yan. Int. In World Wide Web Conference, 2016 (WWW’16, oral) [paper]
Exploiting Relevance Feedback in Knowledge Graph Search
Yu Su, Shengqi Yang, Huan Sun, Mudhakar Srivatsa, Sue Kase, Michelle Vanni, Xifeng Yan. In ACM SIGKDD Int. Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, 2015 (KDD’15, oral) [paper] [slides] [poster] [data]
On the Validity of Geosocial Mobility Traces
Zengbin Zhang, Lin Zhou, Xiaohan Zhao, Gang Wang, Yu Su, Miriam Metzger, Haitao Zheng, and Ben Y. Zhao. In ACM Workshop on Hot Topics in Networks, 2013 (HotNets’13) [pdf]
- 06/2016 - 09/2016: Research intern at Microsoft Research, Redmond, mentored by Dr. Ahmed Hassan Awadallah, Dr. Patrick Pantel, and Dr. Michael Gamon
- 05/2015 - 06/2015, 09/2015 - 11/2015, 05/2016 - 06/2016: Research intern at U.S. Army Research Laboratory, mentored by Dr. Brian Sadler and Dr. Michelle Vanni
- 06/2015 - 09/2015: Research intern at IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, mentored by Dr. Mudhakar Srivatsa
- 07/2011 - 09/2011: Undergraduate research assistant at University of Notre Dame, mentored by Prof. Xiaobo Sharon Hu
- NSF-funded SDM Travel Award, 2016
- LINK Lab Fellowship, 2012 (UCSB)
- Outstanding Graduate, 2012 (Tsinghua University)
- Chinese National Encouragement Scholarship, 2009 and 2011 (Tsinghua University)
- Outstanding Freshman, 2008 (Tsinghua University)