CS 130A Data Structures and Algorithms I
Spring Term 2013 - Credits: 4
EnrlCd Lecture: 48280, Discussion: 48298
Department of Computer Science
University of California Santa Barbara
- Instructor: Professor Koç
→ Koç is pronounced as "Coach"
- Class Schedule and Classroom:
Tuesdays and Thursdays 11:00-12:15; Phelps 3519
- My office hours:
Tuesdays and Thursdays 12:30-2:00pm; Office/Lab: HFH 2106
- Discussion Schedule and Classrooms:
Tuesday 9:00-9:50am; GIRV 2119
- TA is Xiaofei Du (email@example.com)
- TA Office and Office Hours: Phelps 1413, Tuesdays 2:00-4:00pm
- TA Xiaofei Du's web site for this class:
- Reader is Xiaoxi Yu (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Reader Office and Office Hours: Phelps 1413, Fridays 2:00-4:00pm
- Subscribe to the Google group
cs130a-algorithms-data-structures for class discussions
- Check the class website, Google group page, and/or
your email once a day
- Grades →
The "code" is equal to your perm mod 997
- First Midterm is on Thursday, May 9, in class.
- Second Midterm is on Thursday, May 30, in class.
- Course notes and slides here: slides
Deliver the assignment to the HWbox in HFH 2108.
Every late day subtracts 10 % from the HW grade.
- Homework #1: PDF
due: Friday 3pm, April 12
- Homework #2: PDF
due: Friday 3pm, April 26
- Homework #3: PDF
due: Friday 3pm, May 10
- Homework #4: PDF
due: Friday 3pm, Jun 7
Deliver the assignment using turnin before midnight
on the due date. Read the assignment spec for further instructions.
- PA #1: PDF
due: Friday 11:59pm, May 3
- PA #2: PDF
due: Saturday 11:59pm, May 25 → Extended to
Monday 11:59pm, May 27
- PA #3: PDF
due: Monday 11:59pm, June 10
Weekly Course Plan
- Week 1: Introduction, Analysis, Big-Oh notation, Asymptotics
- Week 2: Exponentiation, Max Subsequence, Sets ADT, Lists, Queues.
- Week 3: Hashing, Hash functions, Analysis of Hashing,
Universal Hashing, Perfect Hashing
- Week 4: Heaps and d-Heaps, Leftist Heaps
- Week 5: Review, Search Trees
- Week 6: Midterm1, Binary Search Trees
- Week 7: Balanced Search Trees (AVL), AVL Trees Operations and Analysis
- Week 8: Splay Trees, B-Trees, B-Trees Insert and Delete, Bloom Filters
- Week 9: Union Find Data Structure, Midterm2
- Week 10: Graph Algorithms and Sorting Algorithms
Additional Course Material
- Inside a Google Onsite Interview:
- How NOT to Hire an Engineer:
- Finding kth Largest Items using Binary Heap:
- Why the New Guy Can't Code:
- Heapsort audibilization
- Homework Assignments: 30 %
- Programming Assignments: 30 %
- Two Midterm Exams: 40 %
- No Final Exam
Course (Catalog) Description
The study of data structures and their applications.
Correctness proofs and techniques for the design of
correct programs. Internal and external searching.
Hashing and height balanced trees. Analysis of
sorting algorithms. Memory management. Graph traversal
techniques and their applications.
CS 40; CS 32 or CS 20 and CS 60; PSTAT 120A or ECE 139;
open to computer science, computer engineering, and
electrical engineering majors only.
Dr. Cetin Kaya Koc