Undergraduate FAQs

Prospective Student

Go here for more info. 

If you have never had a computer programming class, we offer CMPSC 8, which will prepare you for the Problem Solving with Computers II which is called CS 16.

To receive a Computer Science Engineering degree from UCSB, students must satisfy three sets of requirements: major, college and university. As a first point of reference for curriculum questions, go to the CS Curriculum webpage. For additional questions, contact the CS Undergraduate Advisor Benji Dunson.

The Upper Division Elective formADD LINK to form MUST be filled out during the senior year. Each student is required to take 20 units of upper division Departmental ElectivesADD link to electives. Each student needs to choose 20 units of elective courses and record them on this form, which is approved by the Computer Science Department. Hard copies of the forms can be obtained from Benji Dunson (CS Undergraduate Advisor) in the CS office.

For Freshman admissions, refer to Undergraduate Admissions http://admissions.sa.ucsb.edu/

Changing Your Major to the Computer Science BS (UCSB students only)

Students applying for major status in the BS program who have completed more than 105 units will NOT be considered for a change of major/change of college unless they can demonstrate that they will be able to complete all of the degree requirements for the proposed program without exceeding 200 units or no more than 5 total years of post-secondary study, including time enrolled at other institutions.

Students may petition once to enter the computer science major once they complete the following milestones (and are able to demonstrate that they will be able to complete the computer science degree within this total unit limit and time limit to graduation described above). These milestones, however, are the minimum requirements for consideration -- achieving them does not guarantee approval of the change-of-major petition or admission to the major. Please Note: Given the high demand for this major, admission will be granted on a competitive basis, and only if there are sufficient pedagogical resources available (instructors, TAs, staff support, classrooms/labs/seats).

Completion of the courses CS16, 24, and 40, with a grade of B or better (first-takes only).
Completion of the courses Math 3A, 3B, 4A, and 4B, with a grade of C or better.
A cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.

Petitions are due by the start of Pass 1 of registration for the quarter that follows the one in which final milestones will be completed; we will make our best effort to respond to such by the start of Pass 3. Any petitions that are denied will be automatically considered and evaluated a second time in the next quarter (unless the student withdraws his/her petition). Petitions denied a second time will not be reconsidered.

No. None of the majors within the College of Engineering offer a minor degree.

Refer to Jobs bulletin ADD LINK