In addition to fulfilling the Graduate Division requirements for admission, the Department of Computer Science requires a bachelor's degree in some discipline of science, engineering, or mathematics.
Complete the the Graduate Division’s on-line application.
- 3.0 in undergraduate study
Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Satisfactory performance in the verbal, quantitative, and analytical sections is required of all applicants.
- No minimum score requirement for the GRE.
Non-native English Speakers (or ESL Students?)
- Must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The minimum score for consideration is 100 on the Internet-based test.
- The IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is accepted as an alternative to the TOEFL. A minimum overall band score of 7.0 is required on the IELTS.
- Applicants who have received a bachelor's or master's degree from a U.S. college or university are exempt from this requirement.
Additional Ph.D. Admissions Information
- Students may apply directly to the Ph.D. program without a Master's degree. A solid background in computer science or one or more fields of science and engineering is expected.
- Applicants to the Ph.D. program must have a grade-point average of at least 3.5 in their undergraduate study.
- Students entering this program should be committed to completing a Ph.D.
- The department discourages students petitioning to switch to the Master's program; such petitions are approved only under exceptional circumstances.
Current UCSB Graduate Students
- To change or add a Computer Science degree objective submit the Graduate Student Petition available on the Graduate Division website. Do not complete the on-line application.
- Submit your petition and supporting materials to the Computer Science department by the December 15th deadline. Petitions are reviewed along with the applications received.